Sunday, January 20, 2013

Homemade Gifts




Show someone how much you care with homemade gifts. They add a personal touch showing the recipient how much you care. You can even stretch your budget while making the gift memorable.


Hot/Cold packs

 

You will need two 5inch squares of fabric. These are called charms and usually sold in packs of 42 like this one for $10. For lining you can use the sleeve on an old t-shirt. Fill the T-shirt square with WHITE uncooked rice and herbs of your choice. I picked Lavender for it's calming properties. You can add a few drops of your favorite essential oils. Stitch the 4th side close.

Stitch two charms on three sides inside out. Reverse the fabric carefully and stuff with the rice pack. You can either stitch the final side of the charm or add Velcro for closure. Just remember this will be used in the microwave and you want to avoid metals.



Heat for 30 seconds and apply. The inside will feel a lot hotter than you think. Please do not heat more than 1 minute. Be careful when handling directly from the microwave. You can also place these in the freezer for a cold pack.

These make the perfect size for hand warmers too. On a cold day, warm the pack(s) and place in your pockets before heading out.


 

Coffee/Tea Cozy

This project can be more complicated if you allow it. You will find these for sale on Etsy. I chose to make my own unique design. I used two pieces of soft felt from Walmart, one charm for the middle, elastic and one button.  I downloaded the pattern from Hawaiian paperdoll. It isn't perfect but that is what makes it unique and unforgettable.  Purple happens to be this recipients favorite color.



I used the Michley LSS-202 Lil' Sew & Sew Mini 2-Speed Sewing Machine. Despite the comments I had no issues with my machine. I have not changed the thread though. I made several items and still have plenty left. Walmart also sells this model online but for a higher price at the time of purchase. Yes I am frugal. I even used my Amazon gift cards from swagbucks. I much rather use free money than my money when taking a chance. ;-) Besides who doesn't love free.
 





 

 

Handmade Everyday Cards

Keep it simple. Here I used one stamp, three colored inks and a set of sentiments. You can purchase blank cards and layer card stock for a unique effect.








 Gift Box

Since you will have card stock on hand for the cards, why not make a box to hold them. You can find a great tutorial at Just Give Me Stamps.

You can visit me on Pinterest for more card ideas.




17 comments:

  1. Someone made one of those hot packs before and they are fabulous! I have always wanted to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love heat packs. :) I make several every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great ideas! Homemade gifts always mean so much mor than store bought. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I always love to give homemade gifts as I believe they mean that much more! Thanks for some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great projects! Someone gave me a heat pack last Christmas and I love it.

    Dee from MadameDeals
    http://madamedeals.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love getting gifts like these where there was so much thought put into them. I also like that I can probably make these, not the craftiest person but I try hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great ideas! Love the handmade cards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great ideas...I like the handmade cards as well and the hot packs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like these, especially the hot/cold pack and the tea/coffee cozy. I've actually been wanting a reusable one for myself for a while now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. homemade gifts are some of the most special

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love homemade gifts. My favorite is the hot packs. I recently pinned a couple DIY hot packs I thought I'd make with my son.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to make some of these! We always have "rice socks" that we use, but adding lavender is a great idea, especially because I don't care for the smell of the rice after it's been microwaved over and over again. I bet the lavender makes it smell divine!

    I'd love it if you'd link this up to my linky party, The Pinspiration Project!
    http://www.luluandsweetpea.com/2013/01/the-pinspiration-project-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great gifts! I've been meaning to make some hot/cold packs. I have ice packs in the freezer, but it is actually kind of hard to find hot packs that aren't the chemically activated variety.

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are great gift ideas.
    Debi and Charly

    ReplyDelete
  15. my mom has a bunch of those hot pack thingys. she uses them all the time. one of her friends makes them and gives them as gift all the time....even if you already have one...or more.....lol. i personally love getting and giving homemade gifts over store bought 'stuff'.

    ReplyDelete