Saturday, June 23, 2012

DIY lip moisturizer


Beeswax is known to lock in moisture while offering anti-inflammatory and antibacterial benefits. It repels water therefore it doesn't wash off easily. It creates a barrier on your skin.

Jojoba oil is actually a wax and is similar to our skin's natural oil.

Sunflower oil is high in linoleic acid for soothing dried skin. This has a short shelf life.

I have been using sunflower oil in my skin care and hair care so not to waste the oil before it spoils. I have used almond oil in the past. Jojoba gives a more smooth glide on the lips. You can increase jojoba and decrease the beeswax for gloss. Increasing the beeswax and decreasing the oils make a harder product.

Coconut oil is simply amazing. You can eat it, drink it, cook and bake with it. Its a wonderful moisturizers that penetrates the skin. It feels great on a dry scalp....I could go on for ever.

My most recent recipe is as follows.






7 parts beeswax
4 parts coconut oil
4 parts jojoba oil
5 parts sunflower

Melt the beeswax in a heat safe container. I used the microwave for this small recipe but you could do it on the stove too. Then add your coconut oil (Melts >76F) & carrier oils. I suggest allowing this to cool to test the firmness of your lip moisturizer. Once you have the consistency you like add your essential oils. I used peppermint for tingle and tangerine to mask the beeswax scent. Little goes a long way. Warning! You don't want to add peppermint to hot wax. The menthol may irritate your eyes. This is you why you want to find the consistency you are looking for before adding the essential oils.

*Before using essential oils please educate yourself on EO safety. Not all essential oils are safe for children or/and pregnant woman. I am not making any medical claims.

The measuring spoon I used said "pinch" This made filled one - .50oz twist top tubes from Elements Bath & Body

Beeswax (white and yellow) and carrier oils can be purchased at Bramble Berry.




2 comments:

  1. That's great. I usually just use vaseline when nothing is available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My lips are absolutely parched right now. I could really use this. Fun project to do with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete